[sr-dev] SPDX identifiers in source code

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Wed Aug 17 11:39:36 CEST 2022

> On 17 Aug 2022, at 11:15, Henning Westerholt <hw at gilawa.com> wrote:
>
> Hello Olle,
>
> yes, it should be finalized in a shorter period and not going into multiple release cycles.
> If we have done it, it should be also probably added to the contribution guidelines e.g., for new modules.
Right

> Not sure what kind of tools you are referring to. For the addition to the source code, this could be probably done with some scripting and sed or similar tools.
Tools that generate an overview of the product. I’ll read on here. But tagging source is a starting point.

> I looked again to the SPDX standard. This is actually quite extensive and there are many fields that could be added.
> Example: https://github.com/spdx/spdx-spec/blob/development/v2.2.2/examples/SPDXTagExample-v2.2.spdx
I think that’s the generated product, the SBOM, not what you add to the source code. The tag from the source is
here:
LicenseInfoInFile: GPL-2.0-only

(row 49 in that document)

> Additionally, it can be added as tags (as above), XML, JSON etc..
> This has grown quite a lot since I have last investigated it.
>
> You were not proposing to add multiple tags to the source code files, right? If yes, this should be discussed in a larger round, maybe in some online developer meeting or similar.
> It would be difficult to maintain, if we compare e.g., to the Doxygen topic which was done for many modules, but not all parts of the code.
No, I was just proposing to add a single tag alongside the license text.

There are tools for scanning files and creating base info for debian packages, if I understand it right. At some point, I suspect it will happen.

We have an issue there with files under different licenses, but a combined license for the running software, but that is another issue to handle when that problem comes up.

/O