[sr-dev] systemd watchdog

Sergey Safarov s.safarov at gmail.com
Sat Jun 26 19:08:21 CEST 2021

I have observed a case when Kamaili debug module try to grab the lock on
shutdown and not able to do it.
As a result, the Kamailio process is stuck and not able to restart (dead
lock).

To resolve such a case i want to utilize systemd watchdog feature
https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/sd_watchdog_enabled.html#

To use this feature I need send  sd_notify(3) with a message string of
"WATCHDOG=1" from main process
https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/sd_watchdog_enabled.html#

According to systemd doc only one process to send watchdog
If the $WATCHDOG_USEC environment variable is set, and the $WATCHDOG_PID
variable is unset or set to the PID of the current process, the service
manager expects notifications from this process.
https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/sd_watchdog_enabled.html#

Additional info at
https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2018-January/040185.html

Could you suggest how to embed this systemd call to the main process?

Sergey