[sr-dev] Registering a SIP TLS ALPN

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Tue Aug 17 17:44:08 CEST 2021

Hi Kamailians!

I’ve written a very short IETF draft in order to register a SIP TLS ALPN:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-johansson-sip-alpn/

An ALPN is a short code used in TLS connection setup to inform the server of the “next protocol” after TLS connection is setup. This way, a server listening to a port, like 5061 and 443, can support multiple protocols on the same port.

In Kamailio, we support HTTP 1 and SIP because they’re very much alike, but if there’s a need to support other protocols it will be hard, like MSRP. With ALPN support we could when using TLS.

In addition, newer versions of HTTP will be harder to support using the same parser. ALPN makes it easier.

I do hope the registration will come through. If so, maybe we can discuss what’s needed to support ALPN for SIP and HTTP in the TLS code.

Cheers,
/O