[sr-dev] Kamailio not under GPL2

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 09:56:33 CET 2020

Hello,

because if how the project was developed and evolved over the years,
that's practically impossible. The project was started by a research
institute, FhG Fokus from Berlin, Germany, back in 2001, releasing it
under GPLv2 in 2002, then selling exclusive license (around 2004-2005)
to a US company. The open source branch at that moment evolved in what
is now Kamailio, with many developers contributing to it, so you would
have to get all developers on the same table and agree on some policy/price.

In other words, there is no single owner of the copyright, you have to
deal with many entities (stand alone developers or companies). A matter
of what components you may want to get, the list can be shorter or larger.

On the other hand, be aware that GPLv2 forces you to give the source
code only to the customers that get a product based on Kamailio (not to
everyone out there, so the customer that pays for your product is can
get the source code at a price that does not exceed the binary). You do
not have to make code available if you run a telephony service (e.g.,
cloud pbx, voip service).

These are obviously guidelines, not being a lawyer specialized in such
cases.

Funding: https://www.paypal.me/dcmierla