[sr-dev] still no fix to siptrace

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Thu May 9 11:47:54 CEST 2019

On 07.05.19 18:34, Juha Heinanen wrote:
> Daniel-Constantin Mierla writes:
>
>> This will be fixed, just a time when a lot of devs are traveling to
>> Berlin. It's a regression by a large enhancement of the module, there
>> are many commits there, so reverting is not the easiest option here,
>> because the enhancement has to stay, only the regression needs to be
>> fixed.
> It is very easy to revert to 5.2 level:
>
> - copy *.c and *.h from 5.2 siptrace to master
> - git commit -a
You can also do that on your local clone

> I don't understand why it cannot be done while waiting for the fix to
> current master.

Because the review was done, reverting means doing again a lot of work
which was done already. Reverting is for the cases when something was
pushed without wanting that at all (like a backport of a new feature in
a stable branch, or code that should not be accepted at all). In this
case it is a regression/a bug introduced with couple of new features
that stay -- there were many such cases in the past and they will be in
the future. That is the purpose of master branch -- to add new features
and fix their bugs till next stable release.

It may happen that some issue stays a bit unresolved in the master
branch, due to certain conditions our of the willingness of the
developer. If a developer says that "a bug" won't be fixed because he
doesn't want, then it can also be the case for a revert, but if a
developer (does not have to be the initial author of the commits) says
it is going to take care of it but it is in holidays/traveling/etc...
for few days, it is not a critical case with a master branch. Reverting
is messing up the commit history as well, which we use for release notes
of major versions.

Anyhow, with Kamailio World finished, I just got a bit of time and
pushed a commit -- no time to test right now, but maybe you can give it
a try and then report if works. If not, I will dig further soon, just
give the new error messages/details/...

Kamailio World Conference - May 6-8, 2019 -- www.kamailioworld.com