[sr-dev] Info: Kamailio Unit Testing Framework using Docker

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 08:58:41 CEST 2018

Hello,

a while ago, I started to put together a unit testing framework for
Kamailio. It was more or less inspired from the old shell-based testing
framework added by Henning Westerholt many years ago (which still
resides in source tree path test/unit/), but now leveraging docker to
have an isolated environment for running the tests.

The new testing framework is available on github at:

  * https://github.com/kamailio/kamailio-tests

Giacomo Vacca helped a bit so far, he is actually going to present more
about it at Kamailio World 2018
(https://www.kamailioworld.com/k06/schedule/).

But we want now to get more feedback from community, eventually to
adjust the framework to become something easy to use and even more
important, to be easy to contribute to.

One of the main benefits from my point of view it would be to have the
reports of the issues that can be reproduced submitted along with a unit
test. It would make it easier to troubleshoot and then after fixing it,
would be tested always before releases in order to avoid regressions.

Right now, a good help from community would represent converting the old
unit tests to the new framework, afterwards we can decommission
test/unit. The conversion should be rather easy, as we still rely on
shell and the sip tools like sipp/sipsak ... If you want to help here by
you need clarifications or get stuck somewhere, just write to mailing
list and I would be more than happy to assist. Such contributions should
be submitted as pull requests in order to be easy to review:

  * https://github.com/kamailio/kamailio-tests/pulls

Looking forward to your feedback, comments or contributions!

Kamailio World Conference - May 14-16, 2018 - www.kamailioworld.com