[sr-dev] Avoiding merge commits (git:master:02074c81: Merge branch 'master' of github.com:kamailio/kamailio)

Mikko Lehto mslehto at iki.fi
Fri Oct 27 10:06:14 CEST 2017

Hi, little bit late to the party...

Option ff-only works for me perfectly as it does not make
anything (possibly wrong) automagically.
Then I always have to manually check whether possible rebase
operation would be sensible.

.git/config:
---
[pull]
        ff = only
[merge]
        ff = only
---

---
$ git commit -m 'local commit before merging latest remote HEAD'
$ git pull
>From github.com:kamailio/kamailio
 * branch                master     -> FETCH_HEAD
fatal: Not possible to fast-forward, aborting.
$ git merge origin/master
fatal: Not possible to fast-forward, aborting.
$ git log --graph --all --decorate #observe changes
$ git rebase origin/master #decided to rebase from remote master
First, rewinding head to replay your work on top of it...
Applying: local commit before merging latest remote HEAD
$ git push
---

--
Mikko