[sr-dev] rfc: clang format the code

Henning Westerholt hw at kamailio.org
Fri Nov 24 08:39:53 CET 2017

Am Donnerstag, 23. November 2017, 17:20:48 CET schrieb Daniel-Constantin
Mierla:
> it was discussed during the last irc devel meeting and everyone there
> agreed to use clang-format to format the source code:
>
>   - https://clang.llvm.org/docs/ClangFormat.html
>
> Is any developer (maybe not present during the irc devel meeting)
> opposing this?
> [explanation of motivation]

Hello Daniel,

I think there is only (small) downside of a thorough re-formatting of the code
like this: It makes manual bug triage with git blame more difficult, as git
blame shows only the last commit in a line.

Therefore its important that this changes are applied as one dedicated commit
per module, not mixed with other functional changes (exactly as you proposed).

The advantages of a consistent style in all modules are much greater than this
downside, I have nothing against this change.

> If no one shows anything against in a matter of few days, it will be
> considered accepted (after all, one can re-indent on own style if the
> rule is not accepted or overturned).

Best regards,

Henning