[sr-dev] Spring allergy - missing return codes or simply missing documentation

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Wed May 11 14:40:02 CEST 2016

Friends,

I have developed an allergy. It causes all kinds of weird behaviour.

We have a lot of functions that are documented in README’s that have no documentation of the return codes,
even though they do exist in the source code. Sometimes you can see that the developer added an example
of an if() statement - proving that there is a return code, but the text doesn’t mention it.

If you write new functions in *any* module please document error codes in the README.

If you have written or understand from the source code that there are return codes around, please add them to
the README.

If you find functions that have no documentation on return codes and you can’t figure it out, file a bug report.

Documentation fixes can go both in master and in 4.4.

If you clean up return codes and modify the source - this needs to go only in master. I just did for the “unregister” function in
REGISTRAR - there was a mixup of return codes where the same value actually had different meanings,
which was hard to document.

Thank you!

/O