[sr-dev] http_client memory thoughts

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Wed Mar 30 22:06:37 CEST 2016

Hi!

While researching a few things I want to do with http_client now that master is not frozen and 4.4 is released,
I realize that the code I took from db_cluster allocate the connection objects in pkg memory. I had in my
head an obviously wrong idea that they existed in shared memory. It doesn’t matter for 4.4, but may matter
with new stuff I want to add.

Having them in pkg memory makes reloading configurations hard, so I want to move them to shared memory
instead. Apart from making sure we have locks when updating, is there anything else needed to be done than
changing the allocation?

A secondary task is to make sure we have corresponding objects in pkg memory for local per-process data,
like TCP connection reuse or last error message or redirect in this process. Is there a way to signal
to the all children that an update is needed if I get a RPC command to reload? Any example in another
module?

After-release brainstorm :-)

Cheers,
/O