[sr-dev] kamcli - transferring the github repository to kamailio organization

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 16:34:44 CET 2016

Hello,

kamcli (kamailio command line interface tool written in python) got a
consistent set of features trying to become in pair with kamctl. It is
currently hosted by asipto organization on github, but I am considering
to transfer (move) it to kamailio organization in order to manage easier
the access for kamailio devs as well as increase its exposure to community.

It interacts with kamailio using rpc commands via jsonrpcs module.

You can read more about what it can do at:

  - https://github.com/asipto/kamcli

The commands are implemented in a plugin-like fashion -- see the ones
done so far:

  - https://github.com/asipto/kamcli/tree/master/kamcli/commands

Given that it can handle better the jsonrpc responses, provides more
options to format the output and the help is embedded in each command, I
think it is a good candidate to replace the old shell(bash)-based kamctl.

Probably we can adjust kamctl for rpc when mi code will be removed, but
the options to build and extend in long term a good cli for kamailio are
quite limited in shell.

For the sake of an example, here is the implementation of 'ps' command,
handling the json rpc to display a very compact list of kamailio processes:

  - https://github.com/asipto/kamcli/blob/master/kamcli/commands/cmd_ps.py

Dealing with database records is also rather trivial:

  -
https://github.com/asipto/kamcli/blob/master/kamcli/commands/cmd_group.py

Anyone with comments/suggestions/alternatives?

Kamailio World Conference - May 8-10, 2017 - www.kamailioworld.com