[sr-dev] [kamailio] Use the Additional section of SRV queries instead of doing extra requests (#366)

Tristan F. notifications at github.com
Thu Oct 8 02:59:33 CEST 2015

It seems like kamailio when using SRV records does not read and use the ADDITIONAL SECTION, and instead sends another DNS request to get the IP for the host, which is inefficient and could be supported just like mentioned in the [RFC 2782](https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2782.txt) :

    For each element in the new list

      query the DNS for address records for the Target or
      use any such records found in the Additional Data
      section of the earlier SRV response.

Example, for our `_sip._udp` service using our service discovery tool :

    ;; ANSWER SECTION:
    _sip._udp.service.consul. 15  IN  SRV 1 1 5063 ourserver.node.us.consul.
    _sip._udp.service.consul. 15  IN  SRV 1 1 5060 ourserver.node.us.consul.
    _sip._udp.service.consul. 15  IN  SRV 1 1 5062 ourserver.node.us.consul.
    _sip._udp.service.consul. 15  IN  SRV 1 1 5061 ourserver.node.us.consul.

    ;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
    ourserver.node.us.consul. 15 IN A 98.XXX.XXX.XXX

It has all the information it needs but it still does an extra request. Any thoughts?

---
https://github.com/kamailio/kamailio/issues/366