[sr-dev] erlang module pvs

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Mon May 25 12:38:14 CEST 2015

Hello,

On 25/05/15 11:55, Seudin Kasumovic wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>
>> On May 25, 2015, at 9:43 AM, Daniel-Constantin Mierla <miconda at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I noticed that erlang module is exporting couple of config variable
>> classes (pseudo-variables) with various names. I would suggest to prefix
>> them with 'erl' or something similar to know they are related and
>> specific to erlang module. Many modules do so already (e.g., tm uses
>> $T...). You used some generic names that could be confusing at some
>> point with other components (e.g., 'tuple' is also used a lot in
>> presence, 'pid' is something common any process and kamailio has also
>> some variable related to it).
>>
> Prefix ‘erl_’ is used for functions in Erlang module, so prefixing PVs too will be confusing between functions and PVs.
> I will consider other prefixes ‘$e_’ or ’$E_’ for vars.

The PVs always start with $ that should avoid confusing. Dialog module
is using 'dlg' prefix for both functions and variables.

For me it is ok if you prefer something else, I just want to have a
prefix to suggest is not core attribute like 'pid' or something else and
to be related to the module name by initial or abbreviation.

>> Another note: documenting PVs in README is ok, but then need to be also
>> documented in the wiki cookbook:
>>
>>  - http://www.kamailio.org/wiki/cookbooks/devel/pseudovariables
>>
> How to patch cookbook?

It is a wiki, you need to make an account and edit the page:

  - https://www.kamailio.org/wiki/start?do=register

Long time ago it was decided to keep vars in wiki so non-developers can
contribute with more text and examples, also to have all vars in a
single place. We used SVN at that moment, now with github is easier to
make pull requests to contribute from anywhere to anywhere. But perhaps
is still more flexible with wiki, being easier to edit overall.

Kamailio World Conference, May 27-29, 2015