[sr-dev] ENUM module number length limit

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Thu Mar 5 21:41:08 CET 2015

On 03/05/2015 03:30 PM, Daniel-Constantin Mierla wrote:

> The patch came from a German company, because Germany has variable
> length for phone numbers. Apparently 20 is the max size known so far.

That is true, and in fact I don't know of any national dialling plan,
globally, where the digit length can surpass 20.

However, there are some niche applications of ENUM, i.e. for information
queries for routing or other intelligent network features, where the
subject of the query can be quite complex and contain more than just a
dialling plan-compliant telephone number. For instance, it's not
uncommon to have routing-related ENUM queries consisting of
ANI+DNIS+<trunk group or whatever> concatenated.

In light of that, I would recommend that these limits be increased
significantly.

-- Alex

--
Alex Balashov - Principal