[sr-dev] ENUM module number length limit

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Wed Mar 4 20:54:16 CET 2015

Hello,

Per the ENUM module documentation[1]:

    These functions assume that the Request URI user part consists
    of an international phone number of the form +decimal-digits,
    where the number of digits is at least 2 and at most 15.

Two questions arise:

1. Why was this limit of 15 introduced? Is there some basis for it in
the ENUM spec or in the way DNS works?

2. I need to feed considerably longer values to the ENUM server, and
would like to use enum_pv_query() to do so. I don't see a check for
len(s) > 15 in enum_pv_query_3().

Is it safe to increase the value of these constants to 50-100+?

#define MAX_DOMAIN_SIZE 256
#define MAX_NUM_LEN 22
#define MAX_COMPONENT_SIZE (MAX_NUM_LEN * 2)  /* separator, apex, ...
This simplifies checks */

Or will it have some unpredictable effects?

Thanks,

-- Alex

[1] http://kamailio.org/docs/modules/4.2.x/modules/enum.html#sec-overview

--