[sr-dev] Filtering GIT commit notifications

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 00:51:29 CET 2015

Hello,

it appears that the traffic with commits on personal branches is
increasing, therefore I am trying to figure out if there is a need to
filter the email notifications (being suggested to me by someone here,
as well).

I extended the notification script
(https://github.com/miconda/gitpushub) to be able to filter on branch
name and send email notifications to different addresses or skip notifying.

If people think there is too much traffic with notification from
personal branches, we can update to:

1) send notifications of commits to official branches (master, 4.2, 4.1,
and older releases) to sr-dev
2) for the rest of commits, several options
   a) skip notifying them
   b) create another mailing list where to send all commits
notifications (including for official branches)
   c) decide case by case - a dev can request to skip notifications to
its personal branches (if she/he uses them extensevely) or the community
asks to ingnore some particular branches (if it appears to be a lot of
no important activity)

If you think of other combinations, don't hesitate to propose here.

At this moment I tend  for 1, 2b).