[sr-dev] source code clean up

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 14:20:00 CET 2015

Hello,

here I am proposing some items for removing from the source code, to
keep it cleaner:

- $Id$ or the other SVN expandable tokens - they are svn specific, some
of them even included expanded. Typical location is at the beginning of
the file. They are useless now or very old (when expanded)

- the 'history' section in source code - typical location is after
license at the beginning of the source code files. Used mainly during
CVS times, the content is very old (even more than 10 years) and in many
cases misleading now. If there is something relevant, we can discuss and
eventually move as comments to functions or parts of the code. We have
no proper commit logs and git blame is helping to track what is current
in the code

- git branches that were merged or very old (no longer suitable for merging)

If there is something else that should be part of this process, just
name it here.

This is not going to happen quickly (although it would be good) and it
is addressed here to make the developed aware, when they work on a file
or have spare time ( :-) ), to consider removing those parts.

I would prefer to be a dedicated commit (can be for many files at once,
but not across components -- e.g.,  one commit for a module, not mixing
for many modules or modules+core+libs ...), to be easy to check it
doesn't break the code.