[sr-dev] modules/dispatcher: weight based load distribution issue

MIchael Furmur m.furmur at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 20:40:54 CET 2015

i checked algo 11. it's copy/pasted algo 9 with weights array reinit on
destination state changes.
yes. algo 11 will work correctly because weights array will not contain
inactive destinations
and previously mentioned inactive destinations skipping loop with bug
will never be taken.

but from my point of view:
algo 9 improperly distributes load when we have inactive destinations
and it's definitely a bug.
so right steps are fix it or completely replace in favor of algo 11.
and in case of replacement get rid of two actually identical 'weight'
and 'rweight' destination attributes and leave one clear attribute 'weight'.

On 12/15/2015 07:33 PM, Dmitri Savolainen wrote:
> HI.
> What about alg '11' and rweght parameter?
> Do you mean this?
> https://github.com/kamailio/kamailio/pull/219

> <mailto:m.furmur at gmail.com>>:
>
>     dispatcher module doing wrong when skipping inactive nodes on weighted
>     load distribution usage ( alg 9 )
>
>     here:
>     https://github.com/kamailio/kamailio/blob/master/modules/dispatcher/dispatch.c#L1919
>     loop iterates over possible destinations to get first active after
>     previously computed destination if it inactive.
>
>     this works for all balancing algorythms except of 9 (weighted
>     balancing),
>     because on failover it ignores idx->wlist array and chooses next
>     destination ignoring weights.
>     thus we will get all traffic for inactive destination on the
>     destination
>     which next by destinations index.
>
>     suggested patch changes behavior to continue to iterate over
>     idx->wlist
>     on inactive destinations skipping for alg 9.
>
>     please, examine and apply.
>
>     --
>     Regards
>     Michael Furmur