[sr-dev] How to uniquely identify SIP WS / WSS endpoint

Tue Sep 2 16:22:04 CEST 2014

Not sure what you trying to do, but the Via header is for transactions.
It may be different for every transaction. Thus, if you need transaction
matching (requests to responses) then you are fine and should use purely
the branch id.

If you want to match messages from one transaction to messages from
another transaction (e.g. dialog matching or matching multiple dialogs
from the same user) then the Via is probably the wrong choice. Please
also note, that the user can put any data into the Via header and this
may confuse your application if you blindly trusts all the data in the
Via header.

For matching dialogs you should use call-id and tags (or use the dialog
module).

For matching requests from a certain user agent: I think there is no
reliable way - GRUU may work if available.

But as you are talking about encryption it is more "peer" related then
user-agent related. I say "peer" as the peer may be another proxy with
several user agents behind. To identify peers you should use the data
from the transport: IP, port, protocol. That should be unique for a
peer. For received messages it should be simple to extract them, for
sending, the data should be available too (e.g. in DURI or some
references to a TCP connection).

regards
Klaus