[sr-dev] New: max branches configurable via parameter

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 11:39:24 CEST 2014

Hello,

being brought in discussions many times, including in the recent past
days, I replaced the static define of max branches limit with a core
parameter. It impacts the destination set stored in core and the uac
fields stored in transaction.

It can be set now with global parameter: max_branches

The old limit was 12, now it can be set in the range of 1 to 31.

Few aspects that I would like to discuss to get this refactored to fit
the best of common scenarios:

1) the 31 upper limit comes from tm cancelled branches bitmask, which
now is stored in an integer. Should be easy to get it to 63 (planned
after some testing that proves the concept used now is ok). Would it be
a need for even more?

2) would it make sense to specify the max number of branches per
transaction, in config, before creating the transaction? The upper limit
will be the max_branches value from the core.

3) thinking of common cases of what can be forked a lot, I thought that
we can a simplification of 2) by specifying two limits: one for initial
requests which are very likely to have many branches (think of initial
INVITE via LCR or location) and one for requests within dialog which are
likely to have one or very few branches (e.g., replicating BYE to a peer
server). Opinions?

The main benefit for 2) and 3) would be less memory usage.

Testing and feedback of the new max_branches parameter is very appreciated.