[sr-dev] Kamailio module statsd

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 23:36:23 CET 2014

Hello,

given that the module is providing the connector from kamailio.cfg to
statsd, it indeed is fine from this point of view -- no new
stats/counters being defined inside the module.

Overall the module is ok, before pushing it to official repository, few
things have to be taken care of.

Important:
- the README in the module directory must be the one generated from the
xml doc, right now is the markdown version of an install guide for the
module being hosted out of kamailio repo, which will become irrelevant
once included there
- the stats.txt from doc subfolder should not be added
- README file can be generated with: make modules-readme
modules=modules/statsd (you can add nocatalog=yes if stucks when trying
to generate on mac os x)

Can be dealt after the import:
- variables must be declared at the beginning of functions (or blocks)
-- it ensures the compatibility with old or strict C standard
- add IDs to the xml docbook sections for functions and parameters to
have proper alphabetic indexing - guidelines here:
http://kamailio.org/wiki/devel/module-docbook-readme#section_ids
- a long integer is printed in a 20 byte buffer, being signed and zero
terminated, can end up with 21 bytes - not the case of such value (time
being printed at least as I could see), but it is better to be safe
- use snprintf() instead of sprintf() when printing the statsd commands
to ensure that it doesn't exceed the declared buffer size -- as I could
spot, key can be given as parameter, with no restriction on lenght

Since we are here, a wish list for the future:
- add option to push an internal stats/counter value to statsd on demand
from config by giving the stats name as parameter and eventually on a
timer task based on a module parameter listing the names of the stats to
be pushed
- make the functions to take parameters with variables -- should be easy
by looking at other modules that export functions accepting variables