[sr-dev] Fwd: module writing & per message variable within my module

jay binks jaybinks at gmail.com
Thu May 8 09:21:14 CEST 2014

> can you explain what the differences are when you say "avp stored in the
> transaction" and process variables ?
> do you literally mean variables in my module here, or are these some kind
> of structure attached to the sip_msg ?
>
> Read the docs on AVPs, shared variables (shv) process variables (var).
> They are all stored in different memory and related to different things.

Thanks, Ill look into these.

>  effectively what im looking to do is store some custom data
> against sip_msg* that I can use later if I need to.
>
> When is later? In another request or in the response to the same request?
> If there's a stateful transaction,
> AVPs are reachable in response processing.

Sorry... by later, I mean, later while processing the same message.
Not later on in the call, in that case I know it must be persisted in a
dialog.

my reason for doing a module is that I had a few things I wanted to do in a
> module ( looking up large data structures for performance reasons ), and im
> implementing a few other bits of business logic in this module.
>
> Still doesn't explain why you need to code it in c and make it a modules.
> You can do a lot in the existing
> logic.

Fair call,  I know I can do a lot in kamailio, its quite surprising
actually what you can do.
Ill re-evaluate my reasons for writing a module.

> im happy to discuss further if you want to gtalk me ( on this email
> address )
>
> I would suggest that you read up on the available docs and then find us in
> the IRC channel where we try to be available and answer when it works for
> us. If you really need fast help and responses, many of us are available as
> consultants.

Ill try IRC again, but yea... there were not many people around last I was
on there :)
I understand maybe time zones didnt work, or people were too busy.

> In general, you have to be a bit more exact in your questions to get good
> answers on -dev, a bit less on -users. Your original e-mail was a bit too
> inexact so it wasn't easy to answer, which lead to everyone thinking that
> someone else may understand and may answer...  Before reposting to a
> mailing list, try to figure out why no one answered and add information to
> make it easier to answer.

Fair enough, sorry for being vague.