[sr-dev] [SR-Dev] Capture RTP packet in Kamailio module

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Wed Mar 26 08:46:16 CET 2014

That's exactly right. Media flows around Kamailio, negotiated directly by the endpoints in their SDP, to which Kamailio is entirely agnostic.

On 26 March 2014 03:44:46 GMT-04:00, Cock Ootec <cockootec at gmail.com> wrote:
>Thanks for your quick reply. So, Kamailio does nothing with RTP/RTCP
>packets? I think I understand (now when I think about it) - Kamailio
>only
>handles SIP messages by which in nested SDP two endpoints negotiate the
>stream where media will go through? So RTP/RTCP media stream flow
>directly
>between two UA endpoints and Kamailio has nothing to do with handling
>of
>these packets. Could you, please confirm my thoughts?
>
>All right but what if for example we have special UA that sends to
>Kamailio
>specially modified packet (non standard SIP). In my extension of topoh
>module I have sanity_checks disabled so will Kamailio check this packet
>before my module and drops it or I can receive, modify and forward this
>packet? I mean modify this packet to standard SIP packet and forward it
>another UA. I am just asking theoretically because in the moment I cant
>try
>this.
>

>On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 7:41 AM, Olle E. Johansson <oej at edvina.net>
>wrote:
>

>> On 26 Mar 2014, at 01:06, Cock Ootec <cockootec at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> I'd like to develop module for Kamailio which will be working with
>> RTP/RTCP packets. Is there any way to capture and edit RTP packet in
>module
>> of Kamailio for example in module extended from *topoh*?
>>
>> Kamailio in itself is a SIP server, often acting as a SIP proxy. The
>SIP
>> protocol doesn't handle media, it facilitates setup and management of
>> media session. Adding a module for handling media in Kamailio doesn't
>> really make any sense.
>>
>> We do have modules that talk to external media servers. Look into
>those -
>> like rtpproxy. The Kamailio module itself does not handle media, but
>> communicates with the other server that in fact manages media
>relaying.
>>
>> Before you modify software, you need to understand the architecture
>:-)
>>
>> /O
>>

>> In topoh there are two events SREV_NET_DATA_IN and SREV_NET_DATA_OUT
>but
>> I didn't be able to capture any RTP packets by them.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any help or useful information.

Sent from my Nexus 10, with all the figments of autocorrect that might imply.

Alex Balashov - Principal
Evariste Systems LLC
235 E Ponce de Leon Ave
Suite 106