[sr-dev] Dispatcher "maxload" attribute

Steve Murphy murf at parsetree.com
Sun Dec 14 06:03:33 CET 2014

Uh, I'm just a bystander looking at this, and it seems that the code and
explanation would be a lot simpler if the weights are just proportional.

Given n weights (w),
                              for i=1 to n: SUM w[i] = total weight

proportional: Pw[i]  =   w[i] / total weight

so, if you have two weights, 10 and 10, then Pw[1] = .5 and Pw[2] = .5

if they are 180 and 180, Pw[1] = .5  and Pw[2] = .5

Pw values vary from 0 to 1. They should always add up to 1. Multiply by
100 if you want.

No conditionals, no special cases (as long as no w[i] == 0, everything
should be OK). (or, as long as at least 1 w[i] != 0).

Right?

On Sat, Dec 13, 2014 at 12:02 AM, Olle E. Johansson <oej at edvina.net> wrote:

> On 12 Dec 2014, at 10:49, Daniel-Constantin Mierla <miconda at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> > On 11/12/14 16:29, Ovidiu Sas wrote:
> >> Also 'weight' attribute is not fully documented.  There are missing
> >> examples and details about how it works.
> >> IIRC, the sum of all weights must be 100, otherwise strange things
> happens.
> >
> > Can you give some examples of such strange things, because otherwise it
> > is impossible to guess where to look for.
> THe weight option is really not documented well. Maybe we should start
> with documenting how it works. The source code has no comments and no
> explanations. It does some randomizing and other cool stuff to perform its
> magic - but can we please get an explanation?
>
> /O
> >
> > Daniel

> If
> is a gentle