[sr-dev] rtpengine ice candidate type

Richard Fuchs rfuchs at sipwise.com
Mon Apr 7 14:36:34 CEST 2014

On 04/07/14 04:22, Juha Heinanen wrote:
> before switching to mediaproxy-ng, i was using mediaproxy and kamailio
> mediaproxy module.  when it added ice candidate, candidate type was
> 'relay'.  now i noticed that rtpengine adds candidate of type 'host' and
> there seems to be no offer argument to change that.
>
> i'm thinking of scenario where parties of the call may be able to
> find out a way to communicate directly in which case rtpengine should
> not be forced on them. that could be achieved by adding 'relay' type
> candidate to sdp instead of 'host' type candidate.
>
> what is rtpengine motivation for adding 'host' type candidate instead of
> 'relay' type candidate?

This hasn't changed since mediaproxy-ng, it also added "host"
candidates. The primary reason is that we normally use rtpengine/mp-ng
in ICE=force mode, where "host" candidates are the only thing that makes
sense, and I'm unsure about what kind of logic an ICE client employs
when it sees different candidates of different types, i.e. what would be
the best candidate type for rtpengine to use in this case.

cheers