[sr-dev] Does iptrtpproxy still work? Should there be consideration into marking it obsolete in Kamailio 4.1.0

Peter Dunkley peter.dunkley at crocodilertc.net
Mon Oct 21 11:24:25 CEST 2013

Hello,

mediaproxy is from AG Projects.  mediaproxy-ng is from SIPWise.

mediaproxy-ng is controlled by the Kamailio rtpproxy-ng modules (confusing
naming I know).

As well as supporting in-kernel forwarding mediaproxy-ng also supports
SAVPF <-> AVPF, SAVPF <-> SAVP, SAVPF <-> AVP, and so on conversions
(useful for WebRTC interoperation).

Regards,

Peter

On 21 October 2013 10:16, Alex Balashov <abalashov at evaristesys.com> wrote:

> The only reason I can think of why it might be a worth trying to salvage
> iptrtpproxy is political in nature. Mediaproxy is put out by AG Projects,
> which, as far as I can tell, is firmly with The Other Project in terms of
> its personal sympathies and affinities (perhaps I'm wrong?). That has
> always made future compatibility with Kamailio a concern for me.
>
> Yes, I know it's all open source and there isn't necessarily a good reason
> why we can't hack in new changes to the control protocol, but I've always
> thought it worth keeping in mind. It's also a key reason why I generally
> recommend rtpproxy instead to customers.
>

> Peter Dunkley <peter.dunkley at crocodilertc.net> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I was looking through the module dependencies for this and noticed that
>> it requires the netfilter-rtpproxy which has not had a new release in over
>> two years.  Further, there is a recent bug report (
>> http://www.2p.cz/en/node/1419 ) which indicates that netfilter-rtpproxy
>> won't even compile with Linux kernels 2.6.18 and above.
>>
>> In-kernel forwarding is a feature of mediaproxy-ng (through the
>> rtpproxy-ng module), so it looks like iptrtpproxy doesn't provide any
>> features that aren't available elsewhere.
>>
>> Should there be some consideration about declaring this module obsolete
>> in Kamailio 4.1.0?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Peter
>>
>> --
>> Peter Dunkley
>> Technical Director
>> Crocodile RCS Ltd

> --
> Sent from my Nexus 10, with all the figments of autocorrect that might
> imply.
>
> Alex Balashov - Principal
> Evariste Systems LLC
> 235 E Ponce de Leon Ave