[sr-dev] kamailio tls module and GPL openssl linking exception

Peter Dunkley peter.dunkley at crocodilertc.net
Tue Nov 12 22:27:42 CET 2013

Hello,

The tls module is not the only module that needs OpenSSL to run.

The following modules also need OpenSSL:

   - auth_ephemeral
   - auth_identity
   - osp
   - outbound
   - websocket

I am happy for the exception to be added to the modules I authored and
maintain (that's, auth_ephemeral, outbound, and websocket).  That leaves
auth_identity and osp (and of course, tls itself).

Regards,

Peter

On 12 November 2013 10:22, Victor Seva
<linuxmaniac at torreviejawireless.org>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm the maintainer of the Kamailio package and I would like to push
> the inclusion of the openssl linking exception to upstream but I'm not
> sure about what parts of the upstream program should be changed in
> order to satisfy the GPL.
>
> Kamailio is a project with more that 10 years of existence and it's
> almost impossible to contact every single author of every single part
> of the program, but
> AFAIK it's quite possible to be able to add the exception to the core
> of the program.
>
> Kamailio runs with a core process that loads the user's configured
> plugins. The tls module is the only module that needs openssl to run.
> This module provides the ability to use a TLS transport and the core
> process is the one that creates and maintains the different
> transports.
>
> For sure that any plugin can use the provided transports, but all of
> them are using the core functions/structures to connect. They never
> connect directly to the tls module by themselves.
>
> Modules are being packaged by groups and the tls module will have it's
> own package. The kamailio program can be used without the tls module.
>
> Upstream is willing to add the openssl exception to core files but we
> want to be sure that this is enough to satisfy the GPL.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Victor Seva
>
> http://people.gnome.org/~markmc/openssl-and-the-gpl.html
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2004/05/msg00595.html