[sr-dev] Websocket module: Suggestions

Peter Dunkley peter.dunkley at crocodile-rcs.com
Sat Mar 30 13:29:19 CET 2013

Hello Olle,

> In addition, I would like to be able to discover sub-protocols used (msrp,
> sip). I fail to see how I can do that now.
> Do we have a Core API for publishing read-only data from modules? I guess
> we maybe could use PVs or XAVPs for that.
> An ugly way would be to implement RPC in SNMPstats and issue RPC commands
> internally to fetch data, but that
> means a lot of serializing that really is not needed as SNMPstats
> generally fetches one parameter (OID) at a time, not complete
> sets.

I've added a whole slew of new counters so you can see what is going on at
the sub-protocol level.  Feel free to add them to SNMP if they will help.

Note that the frames received and transmitted counters for SIP and MSRP
only count frames containing SIP and MSRP messages.  So the existing total
frames received and transmitted counters will contain larger numbers as
they include control frames too.

I have also added the sub-protocol used to the dump MI command, but not
sure that is really useful.  The WebSocket MI commands were only really
added to help with testing.  For example, the dump command won't help much
on a system with thousands of active connections - simply too much data.

The WebSocket module doesn't actually contain any RPC commands at all.
Not sure what use they would be for this module anyway.

> Also, some of the modparam parameters could be exposed as cfg params -
> which would make it easier to change them at runtime with
> sercmd, but also expose them in SNMPstats. I think keepalive_interval and
> keepalive_timeout are candidates for this.

If you can point me at a clear example of where this done elsewhere I'll
be happy to add it.

Regards,

Peter

--