[sr-dev] possible bug in TM

Jason Penton jason.penton at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 09:03:49 CET 2013

Hi,

I came across an interesting scenario yesterday related to early media:

A calls B and an early media session is setup. If A decides to "cancel" the
request with a BYE (instead of CANCEL), TM ignores this as a tear down of
the transaction. After a timeout, TM sends a "408 request canceled"
upstream and a CANCEL request downstream (to B). This happens even though
the BYE was correctly routed (loose routing) to B and the 200OK routed
back. Both UAs (A and B) behave as if the session has been
correctly terminated. Kamailio (TM) however seems to think otherwise???

According to the SIP RFC, a UE MAY send either a BYE OR CANCEL with Early
Media. (See section 15 of RFC3261 on page 88) - "The caller's UA MAY send a
BYE for either confirmed or early dialogs, and the callee's UA MAY send a
BYE on confirmed dialogs, but MUST NOT send a BYE on early dialogs."

Is this a known issue or should I look into it?

Cheers
Jason