[sr-dev] Licensing for app_* modules

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Sun Feb 17 18:30:18 CET 2013

Hello from North Carolina where SIPit starts tomorrow!

Reading through the docs on the app_* modules I wonder how the GPLv2 is handled here. By default, GPL is sticky, so any module linked in to Kamailio will be GPL-licensed.

With app_mono, precompiled binaries are executed within Kamailio, but not "linked in" to the core. The question here is if we have a clear distinction here. If someone developes a Kamailio-based appliance and sells it - would the customer have the right to app_mono modules under the GPL?

What about python, java and Lua? I don't think these environments precompile, but they still execute within a GPL environment.

I think we need a clear statement about this in the README, like Asterisk has for AMI/AGI applications.

Greetings!
/O