[sr-dev] SIP in Python

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.com.au
Wed Dec 18 22:54:06 CET 2013

I understand Kamailio has a Python module

We've recently started adding Python into repro (the reSIProcate proxy)
too[1]

There are also other projects involving SIP and Python (e.g. the PjSIP
Python API and the Python SIP library used by SylkServer)

One thing that occurred to me is that it may be useful to have a common
API or at the bare minimum a common set of data types (e.g. Python
classes for SIP URIs, classes for the most common SIP headers and a
class for the SIP message itself) so that people can mix and match
Python code between all the projects.

For example, the Python urlparse module claims to support the "sip:"
scheme but in practice it is not supporting it very well, if you put in
the URI sip:daniel at pocock.com.au then it tells you that
   username=None
   hostname=None
   path=daniel at pocock.com.au

Has anybody else had similar ideas about doing something in this space?

1. http://danielpocock.com/embedding-python-multi-threaded-cpp