[sr-dev] Slightly wacky suggestion...

Peter Dunkley peter.dunkley at crocodilertc.net
Fri Aug 30 17:52:16 CEST 2013

Hello,

I just want to add, that my comments about GitHub being easier to manage
were entirely theoretical as I am one of those not involved in managing the
servers.  I merely added it as it is one of the many (perceived at least)
advantages of a cloud deployment - and someone did ask what the advantages
were.

It might be that GitHub is entirely inappropriate for Kamailio, but I don't
think it does any harm for someone to ask these kinds of questions from
time-to-time as we are in an ever-changing landscape in terms of what is on
offer out there.  I'd like to think the decision not to use something that
is currently considered to be the "best-of-breed" option by the open-source
community is a deliberate one.

Regards,

Peter

On 30 August 2013 15:58, Andreas Granig <agranig at sipwise.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> On 08/30/2013 03:08 PM, Daniel-Constantin Mierla wrote:
>
>> It is not that I am agaist github or other 'cloud' portal, at the end
>> git is distrubuted system by design, so we can have it in many places.
>> It is about who is doing the work and administration in long term. If we
>> get a group of people committed to do it, we can have a middle way for a
>> while. Have a clone on github that you syncronyze back and forth with
>> current repository and see what people prefer to use over the time, then
>> we can decide which is the main repo and eventually keep the other as
>> backup.
>>

> We're doing it the other way around at Sipwise: we've our own internal git
> server with the standard web interface etc., but it's configured to act as
> kind of a "master" to our github account. Everytime you push something to
> the internal repo, the github repo gets automatically synced and
> overwritten.
>
> I like the github interface and everything around it, but it's only used
> for convenience to have more pretty interfaces and some basic external bug
> tracker and people have the possibility to send pull requests and
> everything, but in the end the real work is done on the internal git server.
>
> So it doesn't have to be a all-or-nothing approach as you correctly
> pointed out, and we could still stick with git.sip-router.org as our main
> server and just hook up github as a "slave" for people preferring that
> interface to not be solely dependent on the availability of github.
>
> Andreas

Peter Dunkley
Technical Director
Crocodile RCS Ltd