[sr-dev] Slightly wacky suggestion...

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Fri Aug 30 15:08:16 CEST 2013

At least some comments are not relevant as most of those commenting so
far helper haven't helped in administration of the current system at
all, so there was no real basis for comparison.

 From my point of view, the tracker on github is really basic and the
weak point that I gave up on trying to figure out if worth migrate to it
some time ago. I am not very happy with flyspray either, but works fair
enough not to consider a migration when I have no time to do it myself.
Anyhow, I did review other bugtracker systems, and all of them have
inconveniences.

Then, lately github started to get lot of problems, maybe because it
became too loaded.

Over the time, I learned/worked with two other 'cloud' hosting services,
berlios and sourceforge. And I have to say that from time to time they
did upgrades of the portals or underlying infrastructure, so one has to
spend time in coversions or learning the new systems.

The main issue is again: who is going to do the work and do that for
long time. Like with restructuring of the code, there were voices for
it, with proposals to write and send scripts for automatization, but
that didn't happen so far. I don't think the restructuring of the code
will happen for the next release, soon we will have to freeze the
development.

It is not that I am agaist github or other 'cloud' portal, at the end
git is distrubuted system by design, so we can have it in many places.
It is about who is doing the work and administration in long term. If we
get a group of people committed to do it, we can have a middle way for a
while. Have a clone on github that you syncronyze back and forth with
current repository and see what people prefer to use over the time, then
we can decide which is the main repo and eventually keep the other as
backup.

Obviously, controlling the system completely is a big benefit, but if
proves that using a hosted one is better and reliable, then we can make
a decision. But I would avoid asking and following just a blind vote
from people that won't get into doing the actual work, for a thing that
is not critical now.

To summarize the way forward from my point of view:
- there has to be a gourp of 3-5 people willing to use github and ready
to maintain that as a clone for a while and syncronyze in both ways
- try to advertise the benefits to convice more developers to use that
portal for source code development
- let at least several months to go on to see the evolution (some people
might try and then return), then ask for a decision

On 8/30/13 2:28 PM, Alexandr S. Dubovikov wrote:
> +1 . easy to manage....
>
> 8/30/2013 2:23 PM, Carlos Ruiz Díaz wrote:
>> +1 for GitHub too
>>

>> On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 4:27 AM, Richard Brady <rnbrady at gmail.com
>> <mailto:rnbrady at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     +1 for GitHub
>>
>>     On 29 Aug 2013, at 17:58, Peter Dunkley
>>     <peter.dunkley at crocodilertc.net
>>     <mailto:peter.dunkley at crocodilertc.net>> wrote:
>>
>>>     The advantages of concentration are lower costs and richer
>>>     feature set.  I am sure the time of the Kamailio developers is
>>>     better spent on Kamailio than running a tracker, repo, and so on
>>>     that still won't be as good as the concentrated one.
>>>
>>>     If I was setting up an open-source project today I certainly
>>>     wouldn't run the repo, tracker, etc myself - it just wouldn't
>>>     make sense.  Even if GitHub became evil in the future I could move.
>>>
>>>     I think it makes sense for any project to review these kind of
>>>     logistics from time to time as we are in a rapidly changing
>>>     world, and given that there was some discussion about code
>>>     re-structuring before the next major release a few months back,
>>>     now would seem a logical time to give it some thought.
>>>
>>>     I am quite happy with the status-quo if no-one wants to change
>>>     but do think this merits some consideration to make sure we
>>>     aren't missing out on something that could help us.
>>>
>>>     Regards,
>>>
>>>     Peter
>>>

>>>     On 29 August 2013 09:41, Olle E. Johansson <oej at edvina.net
>>>     <mailto:oej at edvina.net>> wrote:
>>>

>>>         29 aug 2013 kl. 18:29 skrev Peter Dunkley
>>>         <peter.dunkley at crocodilertc.net

>>>         Apart from this, there's a massive concentration of code and
>>>         projects on a single site. Sourceforge now is rumoured to
>>>         send malware with downloads, what can happen to github in
>>>         the future? Is this concentration a Good Thing (TM) ?
>>>
>>>         The Internet is distributed.
>>>         /O

>>>         ---
>>>         * Olle E Johansson - oej at edvina.net <mailto:oej at edvina.net>
>>>         * Cell phone +46 70 593 68 51
>>>         <tel:%2B46%2070%20593%2068%2051>, Office +46 8 96 40 20
>>>         <tel:%2B46%208%2096%2040%2020>, Sweden

>>>     --
>>>     Peter Dunkley
>>>     Technical Director
>>>     Crocodile RCS Ltd
>>

>> --
>> Carlos
>> http://caruizdiaz.com
>> +595981146623

Kamailio Advanced Trainings - Berlin, Oct 21-24; Miami, Nov 11-13, 2013
   - more details about Kamailio trainings at http://www.asipto.com -