[sr-dev] github

Henning Westerholt hw at kamailio.org
Fri Aug 30 15:04:01 CEST 2013

Am Freitag, 30. August 2013, 08:42:56 schrieb Alex Balashov:
> [..]

Hello,

as one of the guys who do the maintaince of sip-router.org I'll like to
add my thoughts as well.

> Moreover, as always, running one's own repo and bug tracker opens up
> more possibilities for backend automation and integration with
> third-party tools.  Of course, Git is Git, and I'm sure GitHub has some
> useful APIs, too, and it is likely that the project probably won't be
> needing such advanced integration in the near future.

We're running indeed some custom services on sip-router.org, like the
generation of documentation from code, from docbook, from serctl/ sercmd
object files and other stuff. There is also a daily snap shot generation, which
we probably like to keep as github removed the possibility to upload and
download files some time ago [1]. This stuff still needs to be run and maintained
from us even after a move of the git repository.

> Still, it's always a trade-off when switching to a "cloud" service.
> Control is good.
> [...]

I'd like to second this with that article:

http://redmonk.com/dberkholz/2013/04/22/the-size-of-open-source-communities-and-its-impact-upon-activity-licensing-and-hosting/

It looks (among other topics) to the choice of hosting provider at open source
projects at the end of the article. If a project reached a certain size, they tend
to move away from github.

I've nothing against a move to github per se, but we'll still need to run
sip-router.org and kamailio.org, if only for our webpage and release file
hosting.

Best regards,

Henning

[1] https://github.com/blog/1302-goodbye-uploads