[sr-dev] Slightly wacky suggestion...

Peter Dunkley peter.dunkley at crocodilertc.net
Thu Aug 29 18:29:46 CEST 2013

   - The GitHub concept of forking would make individual developers
   branches easier to manage.
   - The GitHub concept of forking and push-requests would make it easier
   for people who are not core developers to submit patches and for the core
   developers to review them and apply them.
   - People have been complaining about flyspray for a while and the GitHub
   tracker is nicely integrated into the repository making it easy to relate
   issues to code and patches.
   - The GitHub web-UI means that the code is easier to browse, inspect,
   view history (and relate changes to issues) than the "default" Git one that
   is in use at the moment.
   - There would be no need for anyone to spend time or money
   maintaining/patching/fixing the SIP Router Git repo and flyspray.
   - Someone else is handling backups and failure recovery.
   - The use of markdown means that documentation and code can be presented
   together in a nice way with GitHub.

I am sure there are more too (which is why so many projects are on there
now).

Peter

On 29 August 2013 08:49, Alex Balashov <abalashov at evaristesys.com> wrote:

> Peter,
>
> What do you see to be GitHub's virtues for this project?
>

> Peter Dunkley <peter.dunkley at crocodilertc.net> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> There was some talk about restructuring the Kamailio code (for example,
>> putting the core into an "src/" or "core/" directory and having an
>> "include/" directory).
>>
>> Would there be any mileage in considering a move to GitHub for the
>> repository at the same time?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Peter
>>
>> --
>> Peter Dunkley
>> Technical Director
>> Crocodile RCS Ltd

> --
> Sent from my mobile, and thus lacking in the refinement one might expect
> from a fully fledged keyboard.
>
> Alex Balashov - Principal
> Evariste Systems LLC
> 235 E Ponce de Leon Ave