[sr-dev] git:master: Do not perform a lookup for IPv4 addresses, if only listening on IPv6 sockets.

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Tue Sep 18 09:40:17 CEST 2012

> On 17.09.2012 20:26, Olle E. Johansson wrote:
>>
>> 17 sep 2012 kl. 17:29 skrev admin at sip-router.org:
>>
>>> Module: sip-router
>>> Branch: master
>>> Commit: e1b3961b16b76b02ae7ad5f52b2e9db126f81ff9
>>>
>>> Author: Carsten Bock <carsten at ng-voice.com>
>>> Committer: Carsten Bock <carsten at ng-voice.com>
>>> Date:   Tue Sep 11 19:39:32 2012 +0200
>>>
>>> Do not perform a lookup for IPv4 addresses, if only listening on IPv6 sockets.
>>
>> Hmm.
>>
>> What if I know that I have an outbound proxy that is dual stack?
>>
>> If the server listening to only IPv6 sockets needs to call me, it needs to know that the only target is IPv4 so either fail or forward to a dual stack proxy.
>>
>> Maybe this should be configurable. And of course, the opposite is true too. An ipv4-only server should be able to call IPv6-only by using another proxy.
>
> Do the DNS lookup for the external domain on the border element, which is dual-stack.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear.

If my proxy has an IPv6-outbound-proxy that I *ONLY* use for IPv6 gatewaying, I need to be able to make the routing decision locally. If my local IPv4-only server can't resolve IPv6 addresses, I have no way to figure out what's going on and make a decision that "this target is on IPv6 so I need to forward that to my IPv6-connected peer".

/O