[sr-dev] moving all to kamailio namespace

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 16:33:21 CEST 2012

Hello,

some bits were left with the old project name OpenSER, not to disturb
too much at that time and see where everything goes.

Other voices expressed same idea in the past, now everything is stable
and development goes smooth, so it is good to make a decision because
openser is too way back and new comers could be confused.

In my list is renaming from openser to kamailio next attributes:
- default database name (exiting configs should not be impacted that
much as most of them have database provided by module parameter)
- default database access usernames and passwords, respectively openser,
openserro and openserrw should become kamailio, kamailioro and kamailiorw
- perl module API is packed as OpenSER - this could affect some people
using it, but a search and replace should do it
- snmpstats mibs - probably it is going to have some impact as well

Eventually we can start doing it gradually, one or two per release, but
is probably better to do all at once, so people will do one upgrade with
next major release.

Another thing is sercmd, it is in conflict for packaging as both ser and
kamailio install it. It means that one cannot install both kamailio and
ser at same time from packages. One option is to install it as kamcmd.

Because these changes affect users and devels, I sent the message to
both mailing lists. Opinions?

Kamailio Advanced Training, Berlin, Nov 5-8, 2012 - http://asipto.com/u/kat
Kamailio Advanced Training, Miami, USA, Nov 12-14, 2012 - http://asipto.com/u/katu