[sr-dev] WebSockets and NAT

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Wed Nov 14 11:04:40 CET 2012

14 nov 2012 kl. 10:55 skrev Peter Dunkley <peter.dunkley at crocodile-rcs.com>:

> No.  The RTP/SAVPF media profile mandated by WebRTC is not supported by most gateways or servers.
>
> At this point in time media must go directly between clients that support this profile.
>
> Regards,
>
> Peter
>
>> reading about ICE. No way it could be integrated like rtpproxy?

The idea with ICE, if you read about it, is to have a TURN server, which eliminates the use of the RTP proxy.
ICE pushes the responsibility of NAT traversal to the client, so ICE done right means that the client
talks with a turn server (like a RTPproxy++) and reserves support, much like Kamailio today asks the
RTP proxy for media ports.

The RTPproxy software could of course be made into a turn server with some code and a lot of
energy, coming from soda drinks and cookies... :-)

If you have issues with the client handling this by itself, you can force media relays into the ICE offer
on the server side, by manipulating the SDP. This of course only works when there's no protection like
an electronic signature on the SDP.

If you want to learn more about ICE, please visit my presentation on slideshare:
http://www.slideshare.net/oej/sip-2012-ice-nat-traversal-for-media

Cheers,
/O

------

* Olle E. Johansson - oej at edvina.net
* Kamailio & SIP Masterclass Miami FL December 2012
* http://edvina.net/training/