[sr-dev] Tagging versions

Andrew Mortensen admorten at isc.upenn.edu
Thu Dec 20 16:25:13 CET 2012

On Dec 20, 2012, at 2:59 AM, Juha Heinanen <jh at tutpro.com> wrote:

> i don't mind tagging versions as long i don't need to cherry pick
> anything to them.  it must be enough to cherry pick to x.y branches.

As far as most git operations are concerned, tags are just another reference to a point in the tree, like a commit identifier. Using tags won't change the current development model at all.

I'd like to suggest that if we begin using tags, which I strongly support, we also start GPG-signing those tags. Git does support lightweight tags, but they're purely pointers to specific commits in the tree history. They don't support signing, aren't checksummed, and won't have a tagging message (e.g., "Release 3.4.0").

Recent versions of git support signed commits, as well, which might also be valuable for the project, given the large number of people with commit access.

andrew