[sr-dev] modules_s/timer review

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 12:16:12 CET 2012

Hello,

I was comparing modules_s/timer with modules_k/rtimer to spot the
differences.

modules_s/timer is working only with core timers (fast and slow timers),
while the modules_k/rtimer can start own timer processes, or register a
task to main core timer.

Other differences ...
modules_s/timer:
- run on milisecond basis
- option to enable/disable timer

modules_k/rtimer
- run either on second or micro-second basis
- option to execute the many route blocks on same timer

So, apart of enable/disable timer option, rtimer can do more than what
timer module offer (mili-seconds can be run as 1000x micro-second).
Enabling/disabling a timer can be workarounded from script, using a
shared variable tested at begininning of rtimer route, like:

route[RTIMER] {
if($shv(rtimer)==0)
    return;
}

Enabling will mean setting $shv(rtimer)=1, either from other parts of
the config or via MI/RPC commands.

Now, both modules can be kept, no naming conflict, it is just a matter
of code maintenance if we should keep timer module. Enabling/disabling
timers can be added to rtimer in the future, but it is unlikely to
happen before next major release (unless someone else does it).

Is anyone here using modules_s/timer module aware of other differences
comparing with rtimer?

Looking for comments to keep or obsolete modules_s/timer module ...