[sr-dev] Outbound summary

Peter Dunkley peter.dunkley at crocodile-rcs.com
Thu Aug 9 16:42:57 CEST 2012

On Thu, 2012-08-09 at 16:03 +0200, Olle E. Johansson wrote:

> I am not in favour of a new module. Like GRUU, this is just optional behaviour based on the signalling....

My concern is just the amount of complex Kamailio configuration required
for something like Outbound.  It's likely to be very messy and hard for
people to use.  But if you think it is practical, I don't have a problem
trying it that way.

There are going to be quite a number of (hopefully small) changes to the
existing modules (path, registrar, rr, and usrloc at least) anyway.

      * The record_route() APIs need to be updated to make the userinfo
        settable from kamailio.cfg (at least you can already add
        parameters)
      * The add_path() APIs need to be updated to let parameters be
        added (for example ";ob" - at least you can already set the
        userinfo)
      * The logic to decide to use outbound for requests from clients
        should be manageable as a route
      * The logic to do the routing back to clients, sending the 430
        etc, should be manageable as a route
      * Flow token generation/decode/validation is going to be tricky as
        new APIs will be needed for at least base64 encode, base64
        decode, HMAC-SHA1-80 - and string manipulation in kamailio.cfg
        is a pain.  Perhaps a set of flow-token specific APIs to wrapper
        all of these things (in one of the utils modules) would be
        better?
      * A new API will be required to determine whether a connection
        exists (based on input of IP address, port, and protocol) -
        unless trying to send the request and just catching/translating
        the error to a 430 is OK
      * I think the new lookup(), lookup_next_dest(), managing the AVPs
        for this and removing bindings from the location table all do
        need to be new functions in the registrar module

Have I missed anything in that list?

--
Peter Dunkley
Technical Director