[sr-dev] Websocket module

Peter Dunkley peter.dunkley at crocodile-rcs.com
Wed Aug 8 10:47:35 CEST 2012

Hi,

I've added comments below...

On Wed, 2012-08-08 at 10:16 +0200, Muhammad Shahzad wrote:

> 1. try to forward registration requests to another registrar.

There is no reason this won't work as long as you take the NAT-like
issues into account.  If it didn't work, then it won't have worked for
the same reason that forwarding registers from a TCP client behind a NAT
wouldn't work.

> 2. try to make calls between a webrtc and non-webrtc client.

This does work, but you have to make sure the client media stack
supports the right set of options.  If there is a problem here it is
probably to do with RTCweb interworking - not WebSockets.  I did a lot
of testing with Boghe (http://code.google.com/p/boghe/ ) which does
support the right media options.

> 3. try to send call from webrtc client to asterisk / freeswitch server
> to play e.g. some IVR, voice mail etc.

This will be a problem for the same reason as above.

> and many other scenarios, which all have one thing common, that is one
> or more sip servers behind kamailio, webrtc clients do not work at
> all. They work only and only if kamailio is the only SIP server on the
> server side, mostly because kamailio currently do not have neither
> PATH nor outbound support.

Kamailio does have Path support
(http://kamailio.org/docs/modules/stable/modules_k/path.html ), but it
may require a small update to work with WebSockets.  Kamailio doesn't
have Outbound support (yet), but there is a simple mechanism that means
you can work without it (the example configuration for the WebSockets
module contains this).

When I tested I used the following scenarios:
* WebSocket client -> Kamailio -> WebSocket client
* WebSocket client -> Kamailio -> TCP client
* WebSocket client -> Kamailio -> TLS client
* WebSocket client -> Kamailio -> UDP client
* WebSocket client -> Kamailio -> SCTP trunk -> Kamailio -> WebSocket
client
* WebSocket client -> Kamailio -> TCP trunk -> Kamailio -> WebSocket
client
* WebSocket client -> Kamailio -> TLS trunk -> Kamailio -> WebSocket
client
* WebSocket client -> Kamailio -> UDP trunk -> Kamailio -> WebSocket
client
* WebSocket client -> Kamailio -> SCTP trunk -> Kamailio -> TCP client
* WebSocket client -> Kamailio -> TCP trunk -> Kamailio -> TCP client
* ... and so on

I also did some testing with secure WebSocket connections.  All worked
for me.

Regards,

Peter

--