[sr-dev] Dialog2 and proxy initiated early dialog termination

Jason Penton jason.penton at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 16:06:50 CEST 2011

Hi All,

Ok Dialog2 progressing nicely. We now have dialogs and their associated out
dialogs (branches / forking) stored and managed within the dialog2 module.
For the moment, we have excluded DB support but will add once we check in to
git. One thing we need a little assistance with:

We have just finished the prototype for proxy initiated early dialog
termination, but we are concerned with the way it has been done. Basically
as mentioned in the wiki (
http://www.kamailio.org/dokuwiki/doku.php/modules-new-design:dialog-module-design),

   - It should be possible to terminate dialogs in the “early” state, i.e.,
   sending out BYE/CANCEL requests in order to terminate all branches
   appropriately.
   - ibc: IMHO it would be easier just to cancel the transaction as when
      fr_inv_timer expires, this is, by sending a CANCEL to all the pending
      branches and a 408 to the UAC (perhaps in this case a 480 would be more
      appropriate).

The only way we could think of doing this was to send a fake reply via the
TM module. We have therefore exposed the fake_reply function from the TM
module and using that to terminate early dialogs. It works in the test
scenarios we have performed, but the main drawback we can see here is that
the dialog module needs to hold a pointer to the transaction for each dialog
(not sure how bad this is as my experience with tm is not expert yet ;) )

So any thoughts/ideas. Is this the correct way to do it? Would it be okay to
expose a fake_reply function through TM API?

Cheers
Jason