[sr-dev] Freeze rules and undoing a needless string copy

Henning Westerholt Henning.Westerholt at 1und1.de
Thu Sep 8 23:58:20 CEST 2011

Alex wrote:
> i'm not aware of the exact rules regarding the bug-fixing freeze of the master
> branch, hence this question.
> I accidentally introduced a needless string copy in sql_xquery(),
> sql_pvquery() and auth_db's load_credentials because i was unaware of the fact
> that pv_setf_t () already requires implementations to implement a string copy
> of their own.
> [..]

Hello Alex,

during the code freeze no new features or user/ developer visible interface changes
are allowed. After the stable branch is created, the same rules applies also to there.
Only bug fixes in code, documentation or utilities are allowed.

One could argue if a fix for a inefficient implementation is really a bug fix, as you also
mentioned. In this particular case as its a new introduced functionality and its called for
every execution of the PV (if I understand it correctly) it should be fixed now.

If its good tested I'd think it could be also fixed in a stable branch. It makes not that much
sense to have stricter rules during a code freeze for stabilization purposes, as in a stable
release which is used in production.

Best regards,

Henning