[sr-dev] RFC 5626 (Outbound) planned?

Iñaki Baz Castillo ibc at aliax.net
Tue Oct 11 14:30:49 CEST 2011

2011/10/10 Daniel-Constantin Mierla <miconda at gmail.com>:
>>> based on my observations from many users and also based what kind of new
>>> modules people have written for sr lately, there is more and more
>>> tendency towards adding b2bua kind of stuff to sip proxy.
>>
>> Indeed. And honestly I don't like that at all.
>
> who is working on such extensions for our project? I am not aware of anyone
> trying to push b2bua in kamailio/ser and very happy with that.
>
> My personal opinion is not against a b2bua in the proxy, but against any
> b2bua in SIP.

Good ;)

> This concept brought the PSTN architecture back to life in
> SIP, killing the flexibility and service extensibility of client side. They
> are promoting a bunch of benefits, but actually inducing a false impression
> of offering extra security and other b**ls**t-bingo capabilities -- a short
> analyze proves all of them useless. If I have to name the top enemies of
> SIP, the order is ALG (since affects irremediably at some point SIP
> signaling) then SBCs/B2BUAs (not breaking a call in two legs, but in a set
> of troubles, stopping evolution, bringing devolution).
>
> To clarify my statement, this is not like I will be against a b2bua
> contribution in the form of a module (which has no or insignificant impact
> on the core and commonly used modules) -- this is a project open to
> contributions, just that I don't expect at all to get my attention for
> testing or maintenance.

SBCs exist because they offer "some services" like for example... hum?
and due the fact that no vendor implements SIP security at all.

We need cool features in clients and proxies:

- ICE (RFC 5245): The best solution for NAT, validation of the peer
(who is sending RTP to me?) and IPv4/IPv6 transition.

- Outbound (RFC 5626): The ellegant solution for TCP/TLS clients
behind NAT. No hacks.

- GRUU (RFC 5627): Required for setting in your "Contact" something
really reachable by others (rather than your private IP). Problems
sending a REFER? GRUU is the solution.

- SRTP (RFC 3711): Why are we so happy with unencrypted audio/video media??

- SIP over TLS: But it needs to be reworked as the current spec sucks!

Let's open SIP to Internet, but for that it must work and it must be *safe*.

Cheers.

--
Iñaki Baz Castillo
<ibc at aliax.net>