[sr-dev] RFC 5626 (Outbound) planned?

Iñaki Baz Castillo ibc at aliax.net
Mon Oct 10 15:58:15 CEST 2011

2011/10/10 Juha Heinanen <jh at tutpro.com>:
>> For platforms where you want some sort of integrity check in the
>> message, like with S/MIME or SIP Identity, rewriting the message will
>> break security. If we want to build secure platforms in SIP, we need
>> to find solutions that doesn't require SDP and SIP rewrites in the
>> proxys.
>
> based on my observations from many users and also based what kind of new
> modules people have written for sr lately, there is more and more
> tendency towards adding b2bua kind of stuff to sip proxy.

Indeed. And honestly I don't like that at all.

>  if you want
> a secure solution, better not to use proxy at all, but some kind of p2p
> protocol.

But nobody here is proposing RFC 5626 for security ;)
The point here is that, by implementing RFC 5626, a proxy does NOT
mangle the headers so, other proxies or UA's can verify the integrity
of the request (for example using Identity header). If the proxy
rewrites a header then forget Identity mechanism.

>> One thing I realized the other night during a SIP discussion was that
>> Ice doesn't allow
>> a network provider to implement a policy. I don't think a proxy can't
>> say "442 Always use media relay"
>> and force the client to drop local addresses, like if there's a
>> requirement for lawful
>> intercept in the network. That will be something that needs to be
>> added to ICE.
>
> making it yet more complex.  forget proxy if you want end-to-end
> security.

That's not security, it's just "local policy". Mandating the audio
through a RTP tunnel is not "security".

--
Iñaki Baz Castillo
<ibc at aliax.net>