[sr-dev] RFC 5626 (Outbound) planned?

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Mon Oct 10 15:20:23 CEST 2011

10 okt 2011 kl. 13:39 skrev Juha Heinanen:

> Olle E. Johansson writes:
>
>> The idea is that a client has two open connections and two
>> registrations from the same device. The registrations has the same
>> UUID in the contact, but different reg-id's. When an edge proxy
>> returns 430 when the registrar uses one reg-id contact, the registrar
>> needs to retry with the other reg-id.
>
> i just checked rfc5626 and in my opinion it has big flaw in that even if
> an ua is configured with two ob proxies, rfc5626 does not require that
> ua registers via both of them.  rfc5626 thus just brings more complexity
> without any benefit for implementing proxy redundancy.

The main difference compared with RFC 3261 is that the burden of
connection management - UDP, TCP or STCP - is put on the UA.
The proxy reuse the connection created by the UA for outbound
requests, but does NOT open new connections.

The specification also adds the ability, but not the requirement,
to handle multiple connections (flows) from the same UA to different proxys
as failover connections. This will indeed make TCP failover faster and propably
SHOULD be a requirement for TCP/TLS. Previously it was impossible to
recognize that multiple registrations was from the same UA, so the proxy
had to fork to all of them and just hope that the UA had some merged fork
detection.

I think both of these solutions are huge improvements.

/O