[sr-dev] git:master: auth: added new error code to auth API

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 08:11:01 CET 2011

Hello,

actually nothing changed to the old functions. A new one was added to
auth_db module, auth_check() that combines the www/proxy_auth*
functions, and another one to auth module, auth_challenge() that
combines internally www/proxy_challenge(). For now, auth_check() can do
in addition a check of auth username against to/from header username.

So, nothing has changed to the old functions, backward compatibility is
fully ensured, and I have no plan to touch them.

One of the purposes of the new function is to reduce the size of default
config, by offering the behavior of common use case. The user check is
done based on a parameter flag anyhow.

The next plan with this function is to bind to htable module (a matter
of a module parameter) to count failed authentications per user and give
the option to write a log message to alert and temporary disable
authentication for users failing to authenticate several times in a row
-- in other words, a way to protect against dictionary attacks. This can
be achieved with config file scripting, but for new comers might not be
that obvious how to do it, and in context of many such scanning attacks
that happen lately, I found it interesting to just make an out of the
box function for it.

Kamailio Advanced Training, Dec 5-8, Berlin: http://asipto.com/u/kat