[sr-dev] Question to GIT professionals / GIT "best practice"

Carsten Bock lists at bock.info
Tue Mar 29 10:28:26 CEST 2011

Hi everyone,

as some may have noticed, i've made several general changes in my
carstenbock/ims branch in the GIT-repository.
While some are ready, others are not. The others may take several
weeks (maybe months) to be finished.
I would be happy to merge the "general" changes into the master branch
in order to have them more widely tested by the community and getting
a faster feedback (while it's fresh), while leaving the other, not
finished parts in a separated branch...

Now i have two options:
1) Cherry-Pick every single commit into the master (a lot of work, i think?)
2) Create a new branch and move the non-ready parts into that branch;
afterwards merge my "ims" branch into master.
(other options?)

I tend to go for 2) and i would create dedicated branches for each
other component (e.g. a branch for the P-CSCF, one for
Rf/Ro-Operations, one for the I-CSCF, one for the S-CSCF and so on) so
merging into master would become easier. Other new extensions would go
into an own branch.

If i create a branch for specific extensions (e.g. the P-CSCF) and i
need to implement other features for this (e.g. general RFC3680
support in the presence modules), is there a proper way, to keep my
branch up-to-date with the current master and afterwards doing a clean
merge? If i do a "git pull" and afterwards merge, the changelog gets
duplicated... any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Carsten

--