[sr-dev] [SR-Users] Kamailio at Google Summer of Code 2011

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Mon Mar 28 13:13:04 CEST 2011

28 mar 2011 kl. 11.46 skrev Iñaki Baz Castillo:

> 2011/3/28 Olle E. Johansson <oej at edvina.net>:
>>> Let me a question: Why SIP people is interested in interoperate with
>>> XMPP while the opposite is not true?
>> Inaki. Do google before stating things like this ;-)
>>
>> THe XMPP people have written drafts about SIP XMPP interoperability but have gotten almost no response from the SIP crowds...
>> http://xmpp.org/internet-drafts/draft-saintandre-sip-xmpp-core-01.html
>> http://xmpp.org/internet-drafts/draft-saintandre-sip-xmpp-groupchat-01.html
>> http://xmpp.org/internet-drafts/draft-saintandre-sip-xmpp-media-01.html
>>
>> Now, check the SIP forum. How many times do they mention XMPP?
>
> You are right, sorry. Anyhow, how you ever seen a XMPP server
> integrating some kind of interoperability/gateway with SIP? In
> Kamailio/*SER we have some attemps to interoperate with XMPP world.

Daniel and I hosted a seminar about that in Paris a few years ago, and learned a lot. It's hard to integrate them.

A very simple thing:

- In SIP you can send a Subscribe with Expires:0 to "query" the server about the current state of a URI.
- In XMPP, the server doesn't have a state for anything.  It's just a message router.

I think that's why the SIXPAC group is focusing on client-based solutions instead of trying to handle interoperability on the server side.

//O